Skip to main content

EXERCISE TO IDENTIFY CONFLICTING BELIEFS

Set a timer for 10 minutes. Write a series of statements that begin with "I am." Write as fast as you can and let every thought come to your conscious attention. It is extremely important that you do not censor any statements, especially the contradictory ones.

At the end of the 10 minutes, look at the list and cross out everything that is a fact. For example, you would cross out statements such as I am a man/woman, I am blue-eyed, I am brown-haired.

All the statements that remain are the beliefs you are looking for. The beliefs that contradict each other are of particular importance. Contradictory beliefs cancel your energy because you have a built-in mental conflict between the validity of one belief expressing itself only at the direct expense of another belief. What are some examples of conflicting or contradictory beliefs?

I have to win./I may be undeserving.
I am a winner./I am a loser.
I am successful./I've missed my chance to be successful.
I deserve more./I am guilty.
I am a perfectionist./I believe humans are inherently imperfect.
I am trusting./I am untrustworthy or people are generally untrustworthy.
I believe there is no middle ground of satisfaction between winning and failure./I am pleased with myself and my progress.
I am honest./I am dishonest or people are generally dishonest.
I believe working is the honest way of making money./I believe trading is easy money, not work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 All great leaders in every walk of life are highly sexed, but they follow the habit of controlling their sex desires, switching them into a driving force behind their occupation. The person who has self discipline understands the emotion of sex, respects it, and learns to control and transmute it into contructive activities. Q: Just what damage is there in over-indulgence of sex? A: The greatest damage is that it depletes the source of man's greatest driving force, and wastes, without adequate compensation, man's creative energy. Controlled sex supplies the magnetic force that attracts people to one another. It is the most important factor of a pleasing personality. It gives quality to the tone of voice and enables one to convey through the voice any feeling desired. It serves, as nothing else can serve, to give motive power to one's desires. It keeps the nervous system changed with the energy needed to carry on the work of maintaining the body. It sharpens the imagination...

Learning from adversity

 If they knew that every form of defeat, and all failures, bring them the seed of unborn opportunity, they would keep on fighting and win. Success usually is but one short step beyond the point where on quits fighting. Failure is a man made circumstance. It is never real until it has been accepted by man as permanent. Failure is a state of mind; Therefore, it is something an individual can control until he neglects to exercise this privilege. Failure brings a climax in which one has the privilege of clearing his mind of fear and making a new start in another direction. Failure proves conclusively that something is wrong with one's aims or the plans by which the object of these aims is sought. Failure is the dead end of the habit-path one has been following, and when it is reached it forces one to leave that path and take up another, Thereby creating a new rhythm. It gives an individual an opportunity to test himself wherein he may learn how much will power he possesses. Failure als...

How to Build Better Habits in 4 Simple Steps

WHY YOUR BRAIN BUILDS HABITS A habit is a behavior that has been repeated enough times to become automatic. The process of habit formation begins with trial and error. Whenever you encounter a new situation in life, your brain has to make a decision. How do I respond to this? The first time you come across a problem, you’re not sure how to solve it. You’re just trying things out to see what works. You’re taking in tons of new information and trying to make sense of it all. The brain is busy learning the most effective course of action. You stumble across a solution. You’re feeling anxious, and you discover that going for a run calms you down. You’re mentally exhausted from a long day of work, and you learn that playing video games relaxes you. You’re exploring, exploring, exploring, and then—BAM—a reward. After you stumble upon an unexpected reward, you alter your strategy for next time. Your brain immediately begins to catalog the events that preceded the reward. Wait a minute—that fe...